OS X seems to run postfix all the time, though nothing on port 25 (SMTP).
I assume the postfix stuff it is running is only for outgoing mail queues
via the 'mail' command (automated apple scripts), but no real clue.

It'll take me a bit of digging around in the /etc/postfix/ configurations,
but it would seem that you could just run your own SMTP server and set the
mail program to talk to localhost.

I may be missing something important here as I rarely use mail on the
desktop (I log into my server and do the mail there).

Hen