On Dec 23, 2005, at 10:55, Lee Larson wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Bill Rising wrote:
>
>> Lee, don't you have a static IP with insight? I thought there was
>> some goofiness when they set up your cable modem, so that you got
>> some special service inadvertently. I could be way wrong, though.
>
> I wish I did.
>
> I'm logged into my home right now from Michigan and did some speed
> testing. All seems fine to me. Did you check your DNS settings?

The DNS settings are blank on both machines --- I tried sshing into
my laptop from the server (after changing the port forwarding, of
course), and got the same "connection refused" errors.

> Have you tried resetting your router?

Yes, at least by shutting it off and turning it back on again (along
with the cable modem), and the computers. I even tried changing the
IP address of the server on the home side of the router, and then
changing the port forwarding, just to see if that was the problem. No
luck.

> I had similar symptoms when my router was going bad. It eventually
> died completely and when I replaced it, the speed jump was amazing!

I'm not having any slowness...

I'm really confused that Jerry can go to http://rising.homedns.org
and see my web page, but I cannot do it from my laptop when either at
work or at home, and I cannot do it from my wife's laptop at home.

Bill