On Nov 3, 2003, at 8:40 PM, Jonathan Fletcher wrote:

... stuff cut out ...

> It is also very hard to photograph an athlete that is moving very
> fast, at night under artificial lighting, with a slow telephoto lens
> and get it sharp. (I know. I've tried.) You can use higher speed film,
> but the graininess gets a lot worse. Take one of THOSE photos and crop
> it tightly so you can see the face of the athlete and then blow it up
> to full page, and "viola!" you have Sports Illustrated!

Shucks, Canon will happily sell you an EF 300 mm f2.8 L lens (with
Image Stabilizer and Ultra Sonic Motor) for around $3800 - $3900 or so
... That ought to do the trick.

sigh,

Yeah it's on my "after I get really rich and do other stuff first" list
as well. (really big grin)

                                Jerry