On Apr 23, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Henri Yandell made the negative
observation:

> Didn't work for me. I tried it in the live mode, rather than trying to
> install from it. It flaked out somehow.

There are a couple of things that aren't always discovered properly by
the older versions of IVTV, most notably the correct number for the
PVR-350 frame buffer. I had trouble with this when I first installed it
and had to manually change a 0 to a 1 in the IVTV config file. The .2
and .3beta versions seem to get it right without help. Since Hauppauge
started working with the open source IVTV people a few months back,
things have improved tremendously.

> One complaint for the 350 is that only Hauppage's software (in
> Windows) can use it as an out, so better video software like VLC are
> unable to play on the TV. Thus it's better to have a 250 and a TV-out
> on a gfx card to gain independence in the Windows world. On Linux
> though I'd expect the driver to just set it up as a device for output.

With my MythTV setup, the computer's desktop is on the PVR-350. The
IVTV driver lets you put the X-Windows desktop into the PVR-350 frame
buffer. That way anything you can do on the computer shows up on the
television screen. Myth has a setup selection telling it to run in a
window that takes up the whole screen.

There are a few glitches with this approach. Live TV and programs
recorded by the PVR-250 and 350 look as good as the stuff straight off
the cable, but MPEG4 and DivX videos can sometimes appear
ragged--although they are still pretty good. I'm still playing with the
transcode settings to get the picture crisp.

I do think that a PVR-250 along with an nVidia video card having
s-video out would be a better solution to start with because the nVidea
cards support software that can accelerate MPEG4 playback.

I'm toying with the idea of building a new front end machine based
around an Epia M10000 motherboard. This is a tiny motherboard with
built-in accelerated s-video out that you can buy for under $150. It
can be the guts of a machine not much bigger than the mini and would be
about half the price of the mini, after adding memory, case and small
hard drive.

Of course, the cheapest front end machine is probably a Microsoft
X-Box, which runs Linux and the MythTV front end pretty well. If I
tried that, I'd have to negotiate with my son about how the X-Box would
be used.