My previous email was strangely prophetic. Woke up this morning to find
that the powerbook battery indicator flashes on the 1 light and that the
power cable no longer lights up.

Most problematically, the laptop didn't unsleep and I ended up taking the
battery out to force it to power off. However now it does not power on at
all, and still no recharging light on the power cable.

Is this what a dead battery looks like? Should a powerbook run without a
battery but with mains power attached?

Thanks,

Hen