Okay, guilty of not checking things out fully before panicking :)

I've had this before. The new white-plug power lead seems to sometimes
lose the connection. I have to re-seat the power cord in the power lead
and magically the power comes back.

With my magic 1 hour battery, it doesn't take long for a lack of mains
power to empty the machine of power. So not only do I have a dying
battery, but I have a power cable I can't fully trust.

*prepares to pony up cash soon*

Hen