Regarding taking a cassette and transferring it into a computer; this
is duck soup with Roxio Toast and spin doctor.
I do it all the time, but there are no short cuts. It takes an hour
plus to record an hour.

With Spin Doctor (it comes with Toast) you first put the cassette on
a cassette player (I use an old Sony model TC-RX400 (sound like an
old sports car, doesn't it?) then with two wires pug it into my Max
G5 input. Put the Spin Doctor program on the finder, start your
cassette player, adjust volume with spin doctor, then set the player
to where  you want to start, push record on Spin Doctor, and the rest
is nearly automatic.

At the end of each session, push  the stop button on Spin Doctor,
then it ask if you want to filter the tape. If you say yes, there are
various devices to do so, and while you are doing it,  your original
is saved just in case to are not happy and want to start again
without recording the cassette again. You can also cut selection, and
leave some out if you please with out too much trouble. As a matter
of fact, I would say the cutting method used by Spin Doctor is about
as good as it gets. When you finally decide you have the cassette
saved the way you want it, you can push another button and send it to
iTune, or save it in several other ways.

Hope this help. Neal Hammon