Albion! Wow, I used to live (HALF a century ago!) in Willits, 55 driving miles (and TWO hours, according to Google) NNE of Albian.

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Albion,+Mendocino,+California+95410&daddr=willits,+CA&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=39.222269,-123.769998&sspn=0.011171,0.017724&ie=UTF8&ll=39.321135,-123.583965&spn=0.713918,1.134338&t=h&z=10 >

Mendicino county is one beautiful place! My dad used to go abalone fishing with friends from his church over at the coast (I wasn't big enough to bring along), and I have visited in the area a few times since. I love the geography of the CA coast, from Santa Barbara north (avoid LA and south). Gorgeous.

You didn't say: does he have broadband? You may have hinted at it by calling it rural, but noted Mac author Jim Heid lives in Mendocino (the town), a few miles up the coast from Albion, so it can't be a TOTAL tech wasteland.

j.