On Mar 30, 2017, at 11:32 AM, Pen Helm <pen-...@earthlink.net
<mailto:pen-...@earthlink.net>> wrote:

> Congress has voted to allow ISPs to sell your browsing history.
>
> Some people are suggesting we use "VPN"s for privacy.  But the VPN provider
> could also sell your info. It is said that many VPN providers are "shady".
> There is an article at:
> https://slashdot.org <https://slashdot.org/>

The difference between ISPs and VPN providers is most people have a choice of
only one or two ISPs, but can choose from among hundreds of VPN providers. If
you don’t like what your VPN provider, choose another. It’s not so easy to
switch ISPs.

I have been using PrivateInternetAccess
<https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/?gclid=COT-6cb-_tICFVCAaQod3awF1w>
 as my VPN for the last few years. Their privacy policy states
"PrivateInternetAccess.com <http://privateinternetaccess.com/> does not collect
or log any traffic or use of its Virtual Private Network ("VPN") or Proxy."

By the way, the vote in both houses of Congress was pretty much straight party
line. Senator McConnell received $251,000 from telecommunications lobbyists
<http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15100620/congress-fcc-isp-web-browsing-privacy-fire-sale>
 pushing this change in the rules. That is 20% more than anyone else who voted
for the bill. Senator Paul bravely abstained.

L^2

---
Lee Larson
leelar...@me.com <mailto:leelar...@me.com>

‌
‌It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so.‌ — Mark Twain
‌‌
‌‌