On 05/12/16 22:24, andr...@roughedge.se wrote:
Is there a good page for illuminating the differences between linuxcnc and machinekit.. how far apart are they these days since the first fork ??

No, I don't think anyone is interested in being judged in comparison to linuxcnc (or Mach for that matter)

You can diff the repos and look at the documentation for specific features / differences.

Is any of the core parts of linuxcnc project maintained, like the updated motion planner , new mesa drivers and such?

The new tp planner was not in linuxcnc when Machinekit was forked.  It is in both projects.

What 'new' mesa drivers are you referring to?
Machinekit has mesa support and even has support for Soc FPGA boards emulating Mesa boards which is unique to Machinekit.

I'm heavily consdering swapping linuxcnc for machinekit on my lattepanda + mesa card project.. Because the old linuxcnc is horrible to get working and perform well.

You are not going to find Machinekit any easier if you don't have the technical knowledge.
There is no distro to install and the full images available are for BBB and Rpi 2-3 only.

By the look of the lattepanda it was designed as a windoze 10 board and any linux support is fledgeling.
The fact that it is an Atom processor does not fill me with joy, Intel actually produced some of these for tablets etc
that were so tied into windoze, you could not run linux on them.
It also uses UEFI boot, with no obvious info as to whether this can be disabled, further restricting choice and complicating matters.

A quick search leaves me uncertain what linux system is actually supported, Ubuntu 16 does not seem to run on it.
There might be Debian Jessie support, but the link just takes you to a blurb about the Debian distro.
The LUbuntu link is dead.

The libraries required by machinekit mean you would need Debian Wheezy or Jessie preferably, to be able to use the packages available.

Looks like a technically interesting project, but if you actually want to cut metal in particular, putting the Mesa board(s) into a x86 desktop
is a much easier solution.

regards

But if it lacks features or differs to much.. then that would be non-benficial. =)
--
website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit

website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit