By defining the axis as a LINEAR axis in the ini, and by messing just a
little with toolchanger.comp (removed the adjusting for greater than 360
degrees - just let it accumulate) I am able to get repeatable tool changes
for hundreds of tool changes - more than I expect would ever happen in a
session.  As a hobby / weekend warrior I tend to shut my machines down
quite regularly.  It may be that after several hundred (thousand) tool
changes the toolchanger will try and reset or overflow its position but I'm
good with it as is now.

I'll try and post this weekend the working files for anybody interested -
the Beaglebone is terrible to use for internet connectivity so I tend to
post from my main pc,,,,

Mike