On 18/01/2017 22:10, Oliver Rew wrote:
Hi, I recently got very exciting about running my CNC from MachineKit on a BBB, but after getting a BBB and a cape, my hopes were quickly deflated by the lethargic performance of the GUI's on the BBB. I have tried tkMachineKit and it is indeed faster, but is nowhere near the convenience and speed of GMOCCAPY or AXIS running on a very old x86.

Retrofitting old CNC's is a hobby of my father and myself, and my hope with MachineKit on BBB was for a small, simple, drop-in system that didn't require me to search for a big and old x86 box and deal with all it's ambiguities in order to run LinuxCNC. However, these limitations on GUI's have dashed my hopes.

Not sure how running on a x86 can be described as full of ambiguities compared to a BBB!

People have been doing it for years before the BBB was even made.

A BBB feels slower than running on an old x86, because it is.

I would suggest that you have a basic level rethink and look at the available mini ITX boards available like the J1900, which are known to work well and have 10x the processing power of a BBB, with inbuilt graphics that work well.

Some of the fanless ones take a 12v supply and can quite easily be built into a controller head for instance.

I have attempted to research the underlying problems with the GUI, but these discussion quickly go beyond my knowledge. As far as I can tell, it mostly has to do with the 3D g-code preview window and the graphics driver behind it. Is the problem that the driver doesn't run well on the BBB, or that any sort of 3D g-code simulation is too process intensive for the BBB? People have said disabling the g-code simulation does increase speed significantly, but g-code simulation is a standard feature on most CNC softwares and is very handy for the end user.

Are there any current, more feature-rich GUI's that work well on the BBB? Are there any in development?

Thanks!

--
website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit
---