When I've run into people who have been using Machinekit in the wild, there
is often the perception that it's 'slow'.
This is of course directly related to the GPU issue causing software
rendering and the subsequent pegged main CPU but the average user
summarizes the experience based on it.
So yeah.  It's an issue definitely slowing adoption for those who do not
want or need the remote interface solutions.