Thanks for taking the time to reply Alex,

Re Q3 and using HAL to control the stepper motor.  Is there some example
you know of that I could review?
If not, does this approach employ some sort of Trajectory Planner API, or
would this approach require implementing a TP from scratch.

If I understand correctly, that understanding comes mostly from reviewing
some of the issues in GRBL, a TP is a non-trivial undertaking.

Best wishes
Hedge