> On 02 May 2017, at 08:18, Hedge Hog <hedgehogshia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply Alex,
>
> Re Q3 and using HAL to control the stepper motor.  Is there some example you
> know of that I could review?

Why don't you take the stepgen maxvel and maxaccel pins? You'll have to set
them to a certain value anyway.
http://www.machinekit.io/docs/man/man9/hal_pru_generic/

Will your use case include a user setting these pins in Hal? In not, then is
this "privilege" enough?

If the tp has bigger values then the stepgen has. The stepgen will not be able
to keep up and will be limited to these values. So you won't violate your
hardware specs, but get deviation from the path.

If you don't want that you need to be sure that the limits on the tp are lower
than your stepgen.