Suppose this would be useful info.  Started with this image:
https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-10-29/stretch-iot/BBB-blank-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-29-4gb.img.xz
Did the stuff for switching to rt kernel the /opt/scripts/tools way:
root@beaglebone:~# cd /opt/scripts/tools/
root@beaglebone:/opt/scripts/tools# git pull
Already up-to-date.
root@beaglebone:/opt/scripts/tools# ./update_kernel.sh --ti-rt-channel
--lts-4_4

Added machinekit repo, installed machinekit-rt-preempt
hal_pru_generic is of course there, so is the .so file