Hi,
 I'm working on a 3 board solution, currently using it to control a cnc'd
BF20 \ G0704 mill. I\O is grouped logically as 2 PC Parallel ports, but
does not act as Parallel port.

 I have quite a few sets of boards that I've had prototyped, if you are
interested details are here:

https://github.com/ozzyrob/pp_cape
https://github.com/ozzyrob/pp_bob_output
https://github.com/ozzyrob/pp_bob_input

I don't know if these will work in your situation but if you even just want
to give them a go I have few spares.

I realise they take up a bit more space than other offerings, but I my
intention was for them to be easy to assemble, a bit of modularity and easy
customization for those wanting to give it a go.

The cape groups the signal to the connectors, I2C and analogue are
available directly off the cape, each 26 way header has 17 I\O and there
one I\O is brought out as an "enable pin".

The daughter boards just do the basic 3.3v to 5.v translation, each group
of I\Os can either be jumpered for for Pull up or Pull Down, outputs can
either use an 74ls540 or 74ls541 for either inverted or non inverted
output.....depending whether you want to sink or source.

All I\O screw connectors are paired with a +5v & GND connection, hopefully
to make wiring easier. Each step\dir axis is has a +5v & GND associated
with it.

There is also a PyVCP test utility to test the operation before using it in
a full on config...just to make sure everything does what it should.

Sorry for the long winded post.