My guess is you haven't taken the steps required to enable the overlays.
Stock debian uses a different layout for the IO pins.
What this:
bash: line 0: echo: write error: No such file or directory
is likely complaining about (badly) is the pins themselves don't exist
because you haven't made these changes.
I don't have a system up to remind me of the changes required right now,
but search this forum and you should find them.

It may be easier to just use the machinekit image and remove or disable the
startup of X.
Unless it is installed to the eMMC or the eMMC is wiped, you could still
have the same issue though as files in multiple locations still affect this
even when you are booting from flash.