On 2/24/2018 7:57 PM, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> On 2/24/2018 4:15 PM, John Morris wrote:
>> I finally found the perfect application for my old Beaglebone White.
>> However, I'm suspicious that it has fallen out of support.
>>
>> RCN's latest 2018-02 MK image had a few problems in my short tests,
>> such as `sudo true` hangs the console; super long pauses during boot.
>>
>> RCN's old Xenomai-based 2017-02 MK image works a lot better, but
>> `config-pin P9.20 hi` says "Pin is not modifyable [sic]: P9_20
>> i2c2_sda"; this is correct for the BBB, but on the original White,
>> P9.20 was GPIO0_14.
>>
>> I'll end up just rewiring to use pins common to both Black and White,
>> but is there any official support status for the White, both from RCN
>> and the MK project?
>
> I haven't done anything to intentionally break support for the White,
> but the cape-universal stuff was written well after the Black had come
> out (at least a couple years, IIRC), so I didn't really worry about
> supporting the White.  It wouldn't take much to craft a
> cape-universal-white, and modify config-pin to be able to deal with
> the difference, there are several other boards already supported, and
> they seem to keep adding more (green, green wireless, pocket bone, etc).

Oh, and you can always fall back to manually exporting the pins. The
main reasons to use config-pin and a universal cape are:

1) It's easier to use config pin than script a bunch of sysfs writes,
but you only have to do it once, so it's not that big a deal.

2) The universal cape allows control of pin-muxing, so you can use
special functions.  If you don't need to use pwm, eQEP, or other
special pin functions, just exporting the pins as GPIO should work
fine for anything controlled by the PRU driver or the BBB GPIO driver.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net