> The big problem to get across is that Machinekit is nothing to do with BBB.
>
> The fact that you can get a BBB to work with Machinekit and 'X' hardware,
> does not mean it is the desirable or optimum choice.
>
> For the money you spent on a cape and BBB, you could buy an ex-corporate dual
> core pentium computer and a Mesa card and have a setup which is 50 times more
> capable
> and far easier to configure and work with.

I have my reasons for choosing a Beagelbone Black, but I will likely move to
the Beaglebone X-15 when my system design is more refined. And I will be
creating a board for it.

>> Yes, the BBB does not have a parallel port. Machinekit is not a beaglebone
>> project. So there will always be options not applicable to your hardware
>>

> The documentation is legacy Linuxcnc, which was rtai kernel and parport or
> rt-preempt kernel and hardware FPGA cards only.
> Where the docs diverge to include machinekit only areas, depends wholly upon
> people writing them and submitting them for general usage.
>
> It is a community project, but thus far everyone (with minimal exceptions)
> who has stood where you are and bemoaned the lack of detailed personalised
> instructions for their
> hardware combination of choice, has subsequently failed to contribute
> anything to make it easier for the next person to tread that path.
>
> If you were to break that trend, I would be delighted.

I'd be happy to, when I understand enough about this to contribute something
useful. I still barely know what's going on with MachineKit.

FWIW, I posted what I have so far, but this is NOT to the standard I would
expect of actual docs. This is more so I don't forget what I was doing.
https://jetforme.org/2018/04/machinekit-on-bbb/

Beaglebone specifics notwithstanding, the documentation is still lacking. Your
explanation is the same one given by every open source project that lacks
documentation. No one wants to do it (some, like swift.org, are excellent, but
it's backed by an organization with deep pockets and it pays people to work on
it). But that doesn't change the fact that it's lacking.

> --
> website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github:
> https://github.com/machinekit

Rick Mann