There's more to it than just the .hal file.  The .ini file needs tweaking
too.  The Search Velocity can't be 0.  A negative value is used when the
home switch is in the direction of the '-' key.  That's the speed the motor
moves to find and activate the home switch.  The LATCH velocity is the
speed it moves off it again in the other direction until it deactivates.  I
use activate and deactivate to represent the switch changing state.  In my
case the switches are closed and the activate opens them.

My Home switch is also shared with the Negative motion limit switch but not
the Positive motion limit switch but the HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS means that when
it is activated it's not a limit switch error.  And there's one home switch
for each axis so I believe HOME_IS_SHARED means the switch is not shared
with any other axis.  Theoretically that would send Z home first and then
do X and Y together.

I was able to get all but the Z axis working and then spent several hours
searching the web, trying to understand the HAL and figure out why DB25-13
wasn't working connected to the Z axis switch.  The pin stayed low
regardless of the state of the switch.  It didn't look like there was
anything else pulling the line low.  So out came the magnifying glass, then
some solder flux and the touch of an iron to re-solder what appeared to be
a solder joint on the pull up resistor which was not actually connected to
the pad.  Now the meter reliably read 10K from the pin to the 3.3V rail and
once re-installed and Machinekit running I had a working Z axis.  Such a
simple solution .

Oh and
NO_FORCE_HOMING =          0
must be set to zero to have the system actually want to home.  I had it set
to 1 earlier when I was testing the HP-UHU Servo drive with the BBB-DB25/26
since I didn't have home switches.

HOME =                  0.000
HOME_OFFSET =           0.00
HOME_SEARCH_VEL =       -.1