I loaded this image "bone-debian-8.7-machinekit-armhf-2017-02-12-4gb.img"
onto my BeagleBone Black.  I am using Putty and Xming to communicate with
the BBB.
 The startup screen launches like normal but the only sample configs that
will load properly are the simulation ones.
For example, here is the output for the 'generic pru' config.

{
machinekit@beaglebone:~$ machinekit
MACHINEKIT - 0.1
Machine configuration directory is
'/home/machinekit/machinekit/configs/pru-exam           ples'
Machine configuration file is 'pru-stepper.ini'
Starting Machinekit...
io started
emc/iotask/ioControl.cc 752: can't load tool table.
halcmd loadusr io started
pru-stepper.hal:37: insmod failed, returned -1:
rtapi_app_main(hal_pru_generic): -1 Operation not permitted

See /var/log/linuxcnc.log for more information.
Shutting down and cleaning up Machinekit...
Cleanup done
Machinekit terminated with an error.  You can find more information in the
log:
    /home/machinekit/linuxcnc_debug.txt
and
    /home/machinekit/linuxcnc_print.txt
as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal
}

I've tried a half dozen others with similar results.

Does anyone know if this is the proper image to start with?  I find it
strange that none of the sample configs will load on the 8.7 image.
I had a test system sort of working last year using a wheezy image.  I
started with a sample config and modified it but I haven't had any luck
doing that with the new 8.7 image.

I'm wanting to use the Probotix PBX-BB rev5.2 card to drive a simple X-Y
burn table with the step and dir inputs on my servos.

Any advice getting me started in the right directions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Jack.