On 30/08/18 17:26, Condit Alan wrote:
Schooner,

machinekit@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt install xorg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xorg

I guess that is the answer. Xorg is missing.
No, it is telling you rubbish - saying that a package xorg does not exist in the repositories, which it does
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xorg

You need to make sure /etc/apt/sources.list is up to date
run 'apt update' then try again.

The result you should get if it is installed is

$ apt install xorg
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
xorg is already the newest version (1:7.7+19).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

Ignore the version, I am running sid.
If I had a desktop I would use synaptic package manager to fetch and install everything needed. With just a login through terminal how do I locate, download and install what is needed?

Thanks,
Alan