Il giorno domenica 23 settembre 2018 15:34:58 UTC+2, Schooner ha scritto:

> It's not about doubt
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> will tell you whether you have BCM2835

Thanks didn't know about that! on the rpi is written 2837, bit cpuinfo says
2835!
So at least the part that writes in the SPI registers should work.

I tried to add some debug message in hal_spi rtapi_app_main function, but I
don't see them anywhere, I have exported DEBUG=5, and maximized the DEBUG
value in the ini file. I am looking in /var/log/linuxcnc.log and in the
terminal output.
I have tried with different msg types

rtapi_print_msg(RTAPI_MSG_ERR, ": hal_spi init!!!!err\n");
rtapi_print_msg(RTAPI_MSG_DBG, ": hal_spi init!!!!dbg\n");
rtapi_print_msg(RTAPI_MSG_ALL, ": hal_spi init!!!!all\n");

If you do and the driver should work, we can try to find out why it isn't.

> If you don't, what the differences are from the BCM2837 for example, I
> have no idea
>
> I am guessing you are trying to generate steps using the SPI, that is an
> area outside my experience
> but there seems to be quite a bit about it on the RPi forums

Actually, I tought that hal_spi is used to write something to a MCU that
will control the motor generating steps.
I think it sends the commanded velocity and the MCU updates the PWM.
I am not sure of those things, though

On 23/09/18 13:50, mngr wrote:

Il giorno domenica 23 settembre 2018 13:41:42 UTC+2, Schooner ha scritto:

> The log does not show what your earlier email showed, there is not mention
> of an error from insmod
>
> I think you need to get right back to basics.
>
> This driver was written 5 years ago and is specific to the BCM2835 chip
> It can only have been meant to support Pi v1 & v2 and maybe not all of
> them, as they kept changing versions and hardware,
> because nothing of a higher version had been released then
>
> Does this driver support your Pi?

In case of doubt I gave a look to wiringPi, it calls ioctl and write/reads
from /dev/spidev.
Is calling that syscall from a hal driver a sane thing to do? (It is for
example used here
<https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit/blob/master/src/hal/drivers/hal_p260c.c>
)

> Regards DEBUG, the ini file bit was explained by the text you deleted from
> yours.
> It takes a hexidecimal number up to 0x7FFFFFFF, the output is to terminal
> and the output is from NML messaging
>
> The exported DEBUG=5 is the debug setting for logging and relates to the
> rtapi system, not NML

Thanks for the explanation, Schooner

email to machinekit+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.