The DRV8825 drivers have issues with larger drive voltages when coupled
with low inductance motors, probably like your Nema 23 ones.
This shows when trying to do microstepping.  High voltage and low
inductance causes a biasing toward the full step positions, which leads to
some 'banding' showing up in your output.  Good news is if you don't use
microstepping the issue seems to go away for the most part.

Also, as long as you keep your drive voltage lower they will still work
ok.  Exceed say 19V though and the combination will start to display more
artifacts.
You *can* run those drivers at a suitable current to get decent performance
out of the smaller Nema 23 motors.  You'll just need to cool the crap out
of them to run them at their full rated current of 2.2-2.4A. I personally
watercooled mine, but that was probably excessive.
You can set the trim pot to well higher than the max current, so don't just
think you can turn it up and not measure it.  Output current = 2x voltage
with respect to ground measured on the pot slider.  Clip a lead to your
screwdriver shaft, and another to a ground pin for dead simple current
setting.
There is a decay setting you can alter on the module by soldering a jumper
to a pin on the chip that helps, but it also makes them a lot noisier when
sitting still.
The real Pololu branded DRV8825 stepsticks did perform better than the
knockoffs.

As for others?  I replaced my DRV8825's with some AMIS-30543 chips a few
weeks back.  *The are not stepsticks* though and require SPI to configure
them. They are a little too big and so you end up standing them on end, on
an adapter board..  :)
They also run just as hot as the DRV8825 chips, but do have a higher max
current of 3A per phase.  However, they also do not degrade when used with
low inductance/high voltage like the DRV8825's do that I have seen.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/machinekit/9b55b26e-fa12-4f99-ab19-71be12794d86%40googlegroups.com.