On 8/27/2019 12:16 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
> @Charles:
>
> NOTE: I have a uSD image that's "Plain ole Debian" if you want
>> something more generic to work with than the Xilinx AI SDK.  It's for
>> the ZCU104 but you should be able to use it as-is with the Ultra96 if
>> you swap out the boot files (kernel, device-tree, & U-Boot).  Let me
>> know if you're interested.
>
> Swapping out the BOOT.BIN and adding image.ub from the U96 petalinux bsp to
> the AI image
> gives about 1 min of gui access before rebooting, re-placing the rootfs
> with the petalinux one fixes the reboots, however ...too minimal

Make sure the device tree is copied over as well.  Depending on the
setup the device tree can be in the BOOT.BIN file, in image.ub, a
separate file, stored in raw sectors on the boot media, etc.

> I think its time to make that call, for your "Plain ole Debian" rootfs.
> Is it Stretch ?

Yes, it's stretch but it probably wouldn't take much to migrate to Buster.

I'll PM you a link to the uSD images.  If you (or anyone else) is
interested in the source (I've got scripts for building full working
uSD images for the Zybo-Z7-20 and ZCU104 from scratch), follow along
below:

Hit the following link, scroll to the bottom, and click the download
link for the Embedded SDK:

https://www.newtek.com/ndi/sdk/

After installing the SDK, the uSD README file has the links to the
images.  The scripts for building the uSD Image are in the
fpga_reference_design/os_uSD/ directory.

The root filesystem is virtually identical for both images, one's just
armhf and the other is aarch64.  They are almost bone-stock Debian
installs, with a few minor tweaks here and there (mostly customizing
the login prompt & such) as well as a couple "magic" bits you'll
likely want to keep (like generating ssh keys and resizing the uSD
partition on first boot).

Depending on how the 96 boards image is setup, it may be easier to
copy the boot loader & such onto my uSD images, or it may work better
to copy (rsync) the contents of the rootfs onto their image.  My
Debian rootfs system is agnostic with regards to where it lives, as
long as you pass an appropriate root= command to the kernel.  :)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net