Yes, for a long time to come if you buy an industrial PC it can have
lagacy interfaces on it like USB2, Ethernet and maybe even RS232 or
Parallel ports.  But if you have an "ordinary" PC you got at Best Buy, in a
few years they will be 100% USB-C and you will need a dongle to connect the
older ports.

That said even the idea of using a PC is getting old.  People today use
phones and tablets, mostly phones and don't want wires of ay kind.    Yes,
of course, those industrial PCs will have wires but look at today's
higher-end PC, I don't even see USB connected keyboards except at the low
price points

Today WiFi can be much faster then even gigabit Eithernet.  The new 5G
networks will also be faster than Eithernet.    A basic cell phone will be
much more capable than a PC was only 6 or 8 years ago.

In terms of market share LinuxCNC/EMC does not even show up.  It is nearly
zero.

The way to think about a new-start product is to look at the workflow.
 Engineers will likley always work at computers with large screens and 3D
modelsing CAD systems.   Their work product goes into some kind of version
control system that tracks versions and comments and problems.  Then the
CAD design gets converted to g-code and also version controlled ad then
some sign-offs maybe.   Finally, there is a machine tool.  I thik all users
want is to be able to point the machine to a version controled g-code file,
set up the stock on clamps and "go".

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California