A bit of digging through my boxes after a double check of the data sheet shows
I find that the PIC32 won't serve my needs.   I thought it had a quadrature
encoder module but it doesn't.   I have PIC32MX boards and a bunch of dsPIC33F
series boards.

The problem is the PIC32MK which has motor control features and the quadrature
encoder doesn't do Ethernet. However one could add the ENC28J60 to deal with
Ethernet if it was wanted for connection to a MachineKit, LinuxCNC or MACH3 PC.
 Or just use a Pi or Beagle running MachineKit or LinuxCNC and SPI and forget
about Ethernet connectivity.

I have these modules.
http://www.autoartisans.com/PIC32/AutoBoard_CAN_EEROM.jpg
http://www.autoartisans.com/PIC32/PIC32_Sets.jpg

And a bunch of others with dsPIC33F series modules.

This will require some more research…
John Dammeyer