I think we have to reliably enable hobby-class machines first. Now, some
people take hobby pretty far and I'm not trying to cap this off too small,
I just don't want to boil the oceans. I'd say if we can do a bit more than
what CRAMPS can do today, we should.

Personally, I'd want to at least be able to handle the larger 3D printers,
smaller CNC mills and some pick-and-place machines. Looking around for some
open source ones where the controller could be swapped:
* Aleph Objects LulzBot Tax Pro
* SeeMeCNC Rostock Max v3
* PocketNC V2
* Charmhigh CHM-T36VA (not open source, but affordable and hackable)
* Lasersaur

The desire for the above is mostly to be a vehicle for demonstrating motion
control in a familiar way. Something CRAMPS-like could largely serve the
above, though would need to be done regarding the price to make it
sufficiently attractive, perhaps bundling as a kit.

Getting to the standard DB25 seems like a required thing to be widely
usable in the community, no?

This all said, I think handling BLDC motors or even small AC motors with
encoders and adding software motor control functions would be fantastic and
would give some important examples to the community. What I need to try to
understand the requirements are examples like the above. Then we can add up
all the I/Os, required currents/voltages, look at the encoder protocols,
etc. and arrive at a sane set of compromises.

If I go look around a place like
https://openbuildspartstore.com/openbuilds-c-beam-machine/, it seems all
their machines use steppers.

Looking around https://odriverobotics.com/, perhaps this stuff just hasn't
become popular with hobbyists yet? Can we get a sane set of requirements on
what motors we need to drive and encoders we need to support? Are hobby
motors like
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/9235-100kv-turnigy-multistar-brushless-multi-rotor-motor.html
really
available in a steady supply (I've had issues with this in my quadcopters)?

If there was a solution for 48V BLDC motors w/ encoders, would people start
building something or am I just missing where all these machines are
already? (Help me find them.) Would it use something like
http://www.machinekit.io/docs/man/man9/bldc_hall3v2/ or something else?

/me reads
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/4qx9b0/why_arent_brushless_dc_motors_more_commonly_used/

Man, I think I'm about to step in an ants nest wondering about BLDC vs. why
not just control AC servo motors, but why not?

Looking around for some decision factors on motor type support, I found an
add for the ClearPath motors that clarified some things for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUy89MT_Rkk. Looking around a bit more, I
found on this discussion form a message where Rick Mann got those ClearPath
motors working with his BeagleBone.

Anyway, I'd expect there to be a sweet spot for a motor power range and
amount of integration suitable to be covered, though perhaps we are talking
about needing 2-3 cape designs to be available based on how different some
requirements are? Is there real value in providing just the DB25?

Once I can gather a bit more feedback, I'll come up with a good mechanism
for a survey. I'm really looking for those open hardware examples sitting
at higher power than the examples I gave that are nicely handled by
steppers.

--
https://beagleboard.org/about