Hi John

I won't be using the BBB to drive either my mill or lathe as I'm very happy
with what I've got, and have made good quality parts with them for many
years.

What I bought it (the BBB) for was for some other robotic projects.

I've flashed it with Machinekit so that I can test the software integration
for my AI tool changers for both the BBB and Linuxcnc using the gladeUI and
a few of my own HAL components.

Can't test it out too much yet as I'm waiting on a powered 4 port USB
keyboard , mouse and HDMI cable.

Acorn is running Machinekit headless with its own carrier board and the
software is running on a Win10 pc using Ethernet and this by all accounts
runs well with no lag. If I was starting from scratch again this would be
worth looking at. It uses a BB green from seeed.

As to the BBB cape, I really have no idea of the user demographic for the
board so it's hard to speculate, if the cape is mainly aimed at hobby 3D
printers,lasers ect then the DB25 may not be necessary, perhaps a IDC
header would be ok to break out the BBB pins and you could make your own
cable. Existing mills or lathe will already have a BoB

I use a MachDrives BoB that has a 32 bit micro-controller on board that
takes care of the VFD to a claimed better than one percent and threading
with Mach3 Lathe has been faultless.

What I do like about the BoB is that it has indicator leds for the spindle
feedback and limits which make it a breeze to set up even for a beginner.

Nice mill BTW.

Dave