Hi Benjamin,
I can see that your layout was done for easy of routing with minimal feed
throughs. Only once I plopped the CAN transceiver onto the schematic and used a
copy of one of your resistors did I realize you'd used 0403 parts.  I've
soldered as small as 0602 by hand but not sure I want to try the smaller ones.
Since 8 pins of the parallel port are outputs no matter what I'm thinking two
SOIC 8 channel level translators are a more effective use of board space since
the other 5 outputs also can use part of those.

My goal is to create a cape that has these which exceed what is available on
the standard single parallel port

Outputs:
  4 x STEP/DIR --> X,Y,Z and A
  1 x Spindle STEP/DIR or PWM/DIR
  1 x Enable   (One signal Open Collector active high, one signal Open
Collector low)
  1 x Mist Coolant 12V relay driver
  1 x Flood Coolant 12V relay driver

Inputs:
  1 ESTOP input (Pin 10 on the DB-25)
  5 Limit/Home  (X,Y,Z,A Home + Combined Limit)
  1 FAULT input
  1 High Speed Encoder A,B and I
  1 Low speed Encoder A,B for MPG.

I/O combinations.
  1 x CAN bus  (Tx/Rx for CANopen)
  1 x UART (Tx/Rx for MODBUS or Nextion LCD Screen)
  1 x I2C for LCD Touch Screen
  1 x SPI for LCD Screen and I/O  (includes 2 outputs for mux to Chip Select 4
devices).

This all has to exist on one board at a cost far lower than the MESA Raspberry
interface board or there's just no point to it.

MachineKit has demonstrated that we can use the PRUs in the Beagle to deal with
both spindle encoders and higher speed stepping.

So theoretically the above list implemented on a cape that has pluggable screw
terminal connections to run a small CNC mill or Lathe with MachineKit and a USB
hub for mouse, keyboard, USB stick (G-Code transfer) and USB based Pendant.  If
that sort of board could be built for under $100 then there's hope for the BBB.

And the SPI, I2C, CAN and UART allow expansion to an 800x600 LCD display,
Keypad and things like VFD (ModBus) and Tool Changer (CANopen or MODbus).

And if someone wants more than that the better solution is a PC with full MESA
expansion boards.  If you are retrofitting some sort of mill that uses +/- 10V
control with an encoder or resolver Jon Elson and others have LinuxCNC
solutions that again are a better solution.

The market for BBB and 3D printers is gone.  Other than as an exercise.  I use
a a Pi2B (I think) Octoprint and the Arduino Atmel based controller.  It prints
what I need.  The BBB with Replicape will eventually end up controlling my POS
Delta printer if I ever get the rest of the mechanical issues sorted out.

But past that.  The opportunity for a BBB with a CNC cape is really that group
of people who don't want CNC on their mill but do want a DRO and power feed.
And if you suddenly plugged in an Ethernet connection to something running on
the latest high tech hardware you have full Linux or MachineKit CNC.

If you want.

John Dammeyer