The BBB would be the master for my use case, with devices such as
servomotor drivers as slaves in a dual-redundant topology. I use the BBB
Wireless, and thus don't have the onboard RJ-45.

The other industrial connections would also be necessary, particularly in a
push-connector form factor, rather than screw terminals (additional points
if they can be accessed when on a *DIN rail*
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DS2G78J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
).

Isn't the BBB a 'popular MCU'? The thread is intended to take suggestions
for a new machinekit cape design, not alternative MCUs. But if an EtherCAT
cape is as trivial as you describe, send me a production sample and I'll
pay a lot more than 2 cents.