Over the past year or so, I've jotted down some "issues" I've had with IE
that are reproducible. I figure that maybe someone on the IE team might be
interested ;)  IE is the only browser I use regularly, so these are
constructive in nature.

Without further ado...
(all comments apply to IE 5)

€ Often when I click in non-link areas of a web page, it acts as if I
clicked on one of the links on the page (as if the links "bleed" into the
non-link areas).

€ There is no key combination for "home page" that I could find.

€ IE does not provide functional multiple monitor support: If the main
window is positioned on the 2nd monitor, additional windows appear in the
main monitor. On all other browsers, new windows cascade down from the main
window.

€ New windows (even on the primary monitor) don't necessarily cascade
properly -- sometimes new windows are different sizes. I understand the
issue where some site generates a pop-up window, you close it, and then the
next window IE opens will be the same size as that. I'm actually not talking
about that situation. The issue I'm talking about is that sometimes new
windows will open with slightly different (narrower, shorter) dimensions.
I've repeated this on several different systems.

€ IE doesn't use standard Mac editing features in text boxes (option-arrow
to move ahead one word, command-arrow to jump to end of the line, shift to
highlight, etc.).

€ Some pages with very basic HTML don't show up properly. The following is a
page I noticed earlier this year; on other browsers it shows up with white,
yellow and orange text on a black background, while in IE on three different
computers, much of the text does not show up:
<http://homepage.mac.com/sparkyspark/utadmin.html>
Looking at the source for that page, it seems like fairly basic HTML and I
can't find any errors.

€ When typing in a text box, the "escape" key erases EVERYTHING in the box.
This is also the case with IE for Windows, so maybe it's done on purpose.
However, I can think of no logic for this functionality. Erasing a text box
is done pretty easily by selecting all and hitting delete. On the other
hand, I can even count the number of times I've been typing a long message
in a text box in a web page, and while trying to press the "`" key or "1"
key I accidentally hit "escape" and lost everything. This is especially
problematic on PowerBooks and iBooks, where the "escape" hey is directly
adjacent to those other keys.

€ I often open links on a page in new windows so that they can load while
I'm reading the current page. If you open a link in a new window, the URL of
the new page doesn't show up in the address bar until *after* the site is
loaded. In Navigator/Communicator, iCab, and other browsers, the URL shows
up as soon as you open the window. This is true whether you select "Open
Link in New Window" or command-click on a link. The problem with IE's
approach is that if a link fails to load, I don't know what that link was.
The approach offered by other browsers is clearly more useful.

Again, these are offered constructively. I love IE; I just want it to be
perfect ;)

To unsubscribe send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To search the archives:
          <http://www.mail-archive.com/macie-talk%40lists.boingo.com/>