At 10:10 AM -0400 2001-10-04, Chris Casciano wrote:
>With javascript I then slide the elements into their proper position on the
>screen. However, when returning via the BACK button (CMD+left arrow), or
>FORWARD, the position of the elements are *not* returned to their top of
>-25px before the function called onload begins to move them.

IMO this is a feature, and a flaw in your page logic.

When I press the back button to return to a page I have just left, I
would prefer that IE bring up the page in the state that I left it.
If I had chosen a drop-down item from a form, I want that drop-down
still selected. If I've interacted with the page and DHTML has caused
the items to spin and move and settle in new locations and bring up
new options, I want to see them like that when I return.

(Imagine, for example, a nested-tree DHTML navigation system, which I
expanded three levels deep to find the link to the page I wanted.
When I return to the page, that dhtml menu should remain open.)

IE seems to be doing this--properly (IMO) caching the location of the objects.

Assuming IE also caches the values in objects assigned to the window,
you can fix your script to work with browsers which reset the page or
don't by simply setting a variable after the menu has moved, and then
not moving them if that flag is set. (Or your moving script could set
them to a known location before attempting to move them, rather than
assuming that they're always at the top.)
--
Gavin Kistner
User Experience Architect > Refinery, Inc.