On Mar 24, 2011, at 9:26 PM, Ashley Aitken wrote:

> I remember when OSX was released (slow and buggy) by Steve Jobs at WWDC
> thinking that the new Apple had saved the Mac for another 20 years. It is
> hard to believe half that period had gone already.
>
> With regards to the future, speculating of course, I think we are heading for
> an iOS world on the desktop as well as the tablet and phone.  It is, of
> course, built around OSX (but not the Mac OS, if you follow ...).

I don't think it will happen.  I think you will get some iOS ways of
manipulating things added (as in Lion) but I don't think you will supplant the
keyboard and mouse any time in the next 20 years as the main input

Plus, the HW needs are different between Mac OS X and iOS (which is also OS X).
 So you will continue to have different OSes on the desktop and the mobile
post-PC device.

> Personally, I think iMacs will eventually "fall over" and be slanted screens
> on our desk, and we will do everything with our fingers on the screen (even
> typing, with voice,and possibly camera gesture recognition.
>
> Yes, Steve said that multi-touch on a vertical screen won't cut it, but I
> think multi-touch on a horizontal (slanted) screen will work just fine.  Most
> of the space in front of my screen is wasted on a keyboard.
>
> That's right I'm suggesting Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Xcode, pretty much all
> apps will be multi-touch apps, and we will even lose the menu bar as we know
> it today (since it was made for the mouse).

The mouse is much finer control.  Multi-touch is not a mouse replacement when
you need a mouse.

The prevalence of the "PC" may go down as more and more people adopt post-PC
devices for their day to day normal use, but the keyboard and mouse will not go
away on the "PC" in the next 20 years.  That is my prognostication.