On May 13, 2011, at 1:31 PM, objectwerks inc wrote:
>> A lot of (bad in my view) clients mark deleted mail as such, and then
>> provide an "expunge" feature to later delete them. Mac's Mail.app,
>

> Mail.app will work both ways.
>
> I prefer the "mark for delete" behavior.  So I have Mail.app set to work that
> way.   The iPhone unfortunately ONLY allows the move to folder (and does not
> seem to allow you to specify which folder but may inherit it from Mail.app
> settings ??).
>
> I believe original IMAP spec behavior is "mark for delete"

I forgot about that, yes you can set it to work that way. iPhone does only
allow for move to folder, but with the exception of ActiveSync accounts you can
change it. For a MobileMe account, under Mail, select your account, then click
Account again, then Mail, then Advanced, and from in there you can change the
location of Drafts, Sent, Deleted mailboxes to another folder (create it ahead
of time since it still can't create folders). You can also set the expiration
of deleted messages.

By the way, that's a lot of clicks. Very un-Mac like.