A lot of (bad in my view) clients mark deleted mail as such, and then provide
an "expunge" feature to later delete them. Mac's Mail.app, as well as the iOS
clients do what I strongly prefer. Deleted mail is actually not deleted, but
MOVED to a designated Trash folder. Client settings on your Mac, iPhone and
iPads all control how often the client should permanently delete (expunge) mail
in that folder. For years I left mine at "never" but after about 5-6 years of
never going back and looking at anything, I set it to expire deleted mail after
about a month.