On 2011-08-03 13:37 , objectwerks inc wrote:

On Aug 3, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Arno Hautala wrote:
It seems to me then that you agree that optical media is cheaper to
produce and press.

Probably but I have no data to support either one. I do think they are in the
same ballpark in terms of cost due to the amount of USB thumb drives I have
received at very large trade shows (several) and in junk mail (two) -- stuff
sent to thousands if not tens of thousands people.  If the costs were that much
more expensive I doubt that they would be throwing them around so cavalierly.

i've gotten several too, but i'm not sure that really says much -- somehow a lot of corpses can justify ridiculous expenses for marketing purposes; there are silly equations that show how much it's worth to spend on "qualified" leads ... and they don't hand out DVDs because they aren't nearly as catchy nor likely to be used (seen) multiple times

so how about some numbers? cdadvantage.com offers 10,000 of their cheapest model of 4GB USB drives for $8.06 each, not including pre-loading data; same outfit will do dvd-rom replication, same quantity, with printing and package, for $0.57 each; these may not be the best prices, but they should be a reasonable measure of relative prices