on 2012-10-03 8:16 LuKreme wrote
On 10 Mar 2012, at 00:21 , st...@paper-ape.com<mailto:st...@paper-ape.com>
wrote:
 as i have it, the iPhone 4&  4s have higher pixel density than el nuevo iPad,
 but not much else in consumer space

Because not much else would ever be held as close as an iphone.  Pixel density
is
meaningless unless you include viewing distance.

so in answer to my question about what you (or Scott) had meant by "resolution", it sounds like you meant neither absolute pixel density nor total number of pixels, but the angular width of a pixel at a "normal reading distance"; that's a good rule, but i don't think it's fair to assume everyone reads a phone from 11", and an iPad much father; i'm sure it varies a lot; i can't recall ever seeing anyone doing much reading at 11" on an iPhone; i can't comfortably read either an iPhone nor an iPad from any closer than about 21", and my actual use ranges are something like this:

closest commonly used
       farthest commonly used
21"    28"
  |----|  iPad
|----|    iPhone

for me at any of these distances the angular resolution of an iPhone 4 and a New iPad are both beyond perception; but for the sake of argument if we take the mean distances, and if i've calculated well, for me the iPhone's angular resolution (326 ppi @ 23.5" = ~2.3 pixels per arc minute) is higher than the iPad's (264ppi @ 25.5" = ~1.9 pixels per arc minute)