First, thank you!

But that didn't work either. When I added it to a new device, it just asked
for my password and not any verification code.

And if that is in fact true, it defeats the purpose of 2-factor
authentication entirely.

The point of doing it is to create trusted devices. Someone who has already
stolen my password (hoping this hasn't actually happened....) will have
added my account, and will then have a trusted device - this contradicts
the point, no? Or am I missing the point?