Don't know if it is hardwired functionality, or if it's the keyboard handler
which does a lookup based on the keyboard version. You do have an older version
keyboard, though. The current product is V0.74:

  Product ID:   0x024f
  Vendor ID:    0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)
  Version:       0.74
  Speed:        Up to 1.5 Mb/sec