--- On Sun, 6/2/13, Macs R We  wrote:
> Just because the capacitors on the logic board "look fine"
> doesn't mean they are fine. Bulges prove they are bad, but
> no bulges don't prove anything.  One thing that is known is
> that if your capacitors have "+" shaped slots on top, they are
> not the bad lot -- the bad lot all have "K" shaped slots on
> top.  This can also be determined by the serial number
> ranges for the bad iMacs, which Apple has published.

Interesting! The caps on this particular board are plus-shaped,
so by that logic they should not be an issue. On the other
hand, according to

http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-to-repair-apple-imac-g5.php

the serial number of the machine in question _does_ fall within
the affected range. So I'm stumped.

--- On Sun, 6/2/13, LuKreme  wrote:
> I wouldn't think that 0.2V out of 12V would be a problem at
> all, especially since the 12V lines have nothing to do with
> powering the motherboard (the motherboard and other circuit
> boards get the 5V or 3.3V). I suspect it is not the PSU.

That's really useful information -- thank you both. I suppose I
might have guessed that the electronics all run off the two
lower voltages, but I was not sure.

One other thing that was suggested to me is to re-apply the
thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink. I'm away
from the affected machine for a long while now, but will look
into that when I get back. Meantime, does anyone have a
favorite temperature monitor utility that would run on such
an old machine (PPC G5, 10.4)? I'm thinking that would be
a useful thing to try before I pry off the heat sink.

Thanks again,

-HJ