On 25 Jun 2013, at 23:27 , Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:04 AM, LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> The really tricky part of it is you want the SSD in the upper bay. This
>> involves a complete tear down of the mini to its component parts. If you
>> unfamiliar with this replacement, you should probably take it somewhere and
>> have them do it it will be money well spent.
>
> Is there something special about the upper bay, other than it's the default
> boot drive location? What if I place the SSD in the lower bay, do the dd
> image copy from the HDD to the SSD and then set Sys Prefs 'Startup Disk' to
> boot from the SSD? Heck, then I don't even need an external enclosure…

Yes, that will work. There was a reason that you were supposed to put an SSD in
the upper bay (I looked into doing this on my own 2009 mini and I remember
reading this proviso several times), but I can't find it now. For the record,
the default boot is the Lower bay (which is easier to access).

If you are not already doing so, I would mirror the boot drive to your other
drive, which will make recovery very fast if there is a hard drive problem. I
don't think I'd put an SSD in a FW enclosure just to have a third redundant
drive.

--
If you mixed vodka with orange juice and Milk Of Magnesia, would you get
a Philip's Screwdriver?