On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

>  Is there then a way to boot the Mac mini (Snow Leopard Server) from the
> external SSD drive (FW400)? That would at least keep things going in a pinch.

To (maybe) answer my own question, it looks like it's possible to set the
startup disk in Sys Prefs. Don't know until I create a bootable copy if an
external FW400 drive would show up in the list or not, though. Not much help if
the system crashes, but in that case maybe booting with the Option key pressed
will show up an external bootable drive? Guess I'll have to create one to find
out for sure.