On Jul 14, 2013, at 9:01 PM, LuKreme wrote:

> On 14 Jul 2013, at 21:14 , Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Verify Disk" at the "encrypted" partition fails.
>
> You are backing up your system to the same physical drive?
>
> Don't do that.

That external drive has four partitions; one has a backup of my initial lion
install, one has a backup of a second machine, one has a backup of my 10.6
install, and the fourth (the biggest) has both my primary system backup, and
some video recordings that were tossed onto that drive for space reasons.

And that is the partition that got lost.

> I've had poor luck with encrypted backup partitions. Despite 1) knowing the
> password I used and 2) having the password in the keychain and 30 having the
> password in 1Password, the system still insisted the password for the backup
> part ion was wrong. Had to reformat.

Oh, no, no, please do not say that ...

Well, so I lose the videos. They were not critical. And I lose my last month of
backups ...

But I would think that encrypted / protected data would be important. Does it
really not work well?

===

How do you manage encrypted -- or compressed partitions -- from the command
line? While playing with diskutil, it seems that it does support compressed
partitions, but I never saw any GUI tools for that.

---
This message was composed with the aid of a laptop cat, and no mouse