So I'm asking again for some help here.

As I said before: I attempted to encrypt a time machine partition.
Things went bad.

At this point, I'd be happy if I could figure out how to reformat the
partition and start over.

On a separate note, is there a way to do file vault encryption of a
second partition on my main drive? (The partition that has /Users and
my home directory). An encrypted disk image has all the issues of time
machine not working properly; a partition on my main drive won't have
a cable disconnect, and as long as my time machine drive is
un-encrypted, I should be able to recover from any problems, right?

keybounceMBP:~ michael$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MainSystem              37.6 GB    disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS UserData                537.1 GB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Backups                 174.9 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:                            TIME_TRAVELERS_WIFE    *3.8 GB     disk1
/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS 106                     15.0 GB    disk2s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS 107                     20.0 GB    disk2s3
   4:          Apple_CoreStorage                         424.5 GB   disk2s4
   5:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk2s5
   6:                  Apple_HFS Windows rsync           39.9 GB    disk2s6
keybounceMBP:~ michael$ diskutil info disk2s4
   Device Identifier:        disk2s4
   Device Node:              /dev/disk2s4
   Part of Whole:            disk2
   Device / Media Name:      System Time Machine

   Volume Name:              Not applicable (no file system)

   Mounted:                  Not applicable (no file system)

   File System:              None

   Partition Type:           Apple_CoreStorage
   OS Can Be Installed:      No
   Media Type:               Generic
   Protocol:                 USB
   SMART Status:             Not Supported

   Total Size:               424.5 GB (424495448064 Bytes) (exactly
829092672 512-Byte-Blocks)
   Volume Free Space:        Not applicable (no file system)
   Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

   Read-Only Media:          No
   Read-Only Volume:         Not applicable (no file system)
   Ejectable:                Yes

   Whole:                    No
   Internal:                 No

keybounceMBP:~ michael$ diskutil corestorage list
CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

+-- Logical Volume Group 9DC5AF90-FD49-4FE1-94BC-54A666B9B23E
    Name:         System Time Machine
    Sequence:     1
    Free Space:   0 B (0 B)

    +-< Physical Volume 61B9B09C-3F4B-433A-B005-ED3F091A58B4
    |   ----------------------------------------------------
    |   Index:    0
    |   Disk:     disk2s4
    |   Size:     424495448064 B (424.5 GB)

    +-> Logical Volume Family 8E72EC34-C9FB-407F-8735-EDCCDA44064C
        Sequence:               6
        Encryption Status:      Locked
        Encryption Type:        AES-XTS
        Encryption Context:     Present
        Conversion Status:      Converting
        Has Encrypted Extents:  Yes
        Conversion Direction:   forward

        +-> Logical Volume A09BE815-C995-402B-BE19-4B758E6BA504
            Disk:               -none-
            Sequence:           4
            Size (Total):       424176676864 B (424.2 GB)
            Size (Converted):   -none-
            Revertible:         Yes (unlock and decryption required)
            LV Name:            System Time Machine
            Content Hint:       Apple_HFS

--
Political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com

This message may have been spell checked by a laptop kitten.