I don't believe it matters how you order your mailing list. It's just that the
algorithm for selecting the next message to view has changed incompatibly. Now,
when you delete a piece of mail, if the message on one side of it is read and
the message on the other side of it is unread, no matter in what order, the
incompatible with the earlier behavior, it's just plain inconsistent.

It used to be that I could wander down the day's mail, and if I found a message
I wanted to put off handling until later, I would just mark it unread and keep
going. But now when I'm finished with the next message and I delete it, Mail
keeps throwing me back to the earlier message because of course it's marked
unread. And it will do that even if the next message is also marked unread. It
now seems to have a preference for going backward whenever it can. It's just
maddening, and I wish they would get rid of it.