On Oct 26, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <di...@niehs.nih.gov>
wrote:

> 1. When creating the RAID sets, there was an option to choose the block size.
>  The choices were 16K, 32K, 64K, 128K, or 256K.  When the panel came up, it
> was set to 32K, which I assume is the default.  I left it at 32K, but I was
> just wondering what value others might recommend.  I know it depends on what
> I do with my Mac Pro, but I just wanted to make sure that 32K was a
> reasonable choice.  I work with large videos once in a while, but rarely.
> Usually I just work with small files.  Is 32K a good choice?

Depends on the size of files your normally write…if lots of small files then
the 32K is better as you’ll have less wasted space as it is only assigned in
full blocks. Writing a 100 byte file uses up one block…be it 16K or 256K. More
blocks is more overhead by a little…but the drive controller will really only
notice it if you are writing really large files…that should be a bit slower on
smaller block size.

Nothing wrong with 32K AFAIK.

> 2. I was thinking that I would create this RAID10 "disk" and then partition
> it, but there is no partition tab in Disk Utility for the RAID set.  Is there
> a way to partition the 6-TB array, or do I have to start over and partition
> all 4 individual drives and then combine the various pieces into separate
> RAID sets?  That sounds painful.

I don’t think you can RAID partitions; IIRC the RAID process talks to the drive
at a lower level and uses the whole drive. I’ve never built a RAID on a Mac…but
when I was a Windows sysadmin we RAIDed and then partitioned into what we
needed all the time.

Once you get the RAID built…did you try looking not on the RAID tab but on the
tab that shows all the drives. At that point (at least under Windows, as I said
I’ve not done it on a Mac) the RAID should show up as a single drive and if you
select the RAID instead of the individual mechanisms you should be able to
assign multiple partitions.

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking
stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil