TDM isn’t a facility — it’s a just firmware hack that gives you interface
access to the drive buses and emulates an external drive enclosure.  No OS, no
programming is running, except minor firmware such as you would find inside a
typical drive enclosure.  If you put a Mac into TDM, when you mount it on
another machine, the disk drive(s) appear on the desktop (at least under the
historic settings of desktop preferences), even including any opticals that may
be inserted.

Since TDM simply emulates a stupid enclosure, if the internal drive is
unformatted, then it will mount as an unformatted drive, which you can format
from the working one.

Just treat the TDM Mac as a dumb enclosure, and do exactly what you would do if
the new drive were in a dumb enclosure.