On 2015-07-04, at 9:16 AM, Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I force a full time machine backup?
>
> I have several months of time machine history on my drive. I don't want to
> reformat the drive (and lose it all), but I do want to force a full backup. I
> know that there are files that got skipped (thanks for the tmutil compare
> trick), and I strongly suspect that there is garbage on the drive (I got
> buffer underrun errors at one point -- they went away after a power cycle,
> but I suspect that the bits on the backup don't match bits on the main disks).
>
> Apple's engineers said that the disk's UUID is involved in determining a
> matching backup, and implied that if I could find a way to change that, it
> would work. I looked at "tmutil associatedisk", and I wonder if there's a way
> to use that. But they did not have a solution for a way to force a full
> backup without either selecting a new destination, or erasing the old
> destination.
>
> Anyone out there have a solution?

Well, I think I managed to do it. I'm in the middle of a 1.09 TB backup that
has been running since this morning.

What I think did it, if someone will test/confirm on another system:
1. Excluded all partitions. No partitions to back up.
2. Do a backup. Get an error about nothing to back up.
3. Add in something small and tiny to back up, like a mounted download.
4. Back up. Something goes to the backup disk
5. Now set the list of partitions back to what you want to back up.
6. Backing up, it should (maybe? Hopefully?) back up everything.

As I said: I don't know for certain that this does it, but if someone else can
verify this, great.

In my case, #3 was actually just a small partition on the drive (not a mounted
download), so that one partition (only) has not (yet) been refreshed to the
drive.